Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Underdogs

I am conflicted. As an American, I like to see Americans do well at the Olympics. But as a sports fan, I generally root for the underdog and like to see good competition. Now I don't know how to feel about the Men's Olympic Basketball Team losing to Italy, and how I should feel about them in the very near future (i.e. during the summer Olympics).

I mean, it's the American team. My home team. I want them to do well. But I also feel like I'm rooting for the Yankees or Lakers. Who wants to see them win again?

And it may be easier to feel conflicted about the basketball team because they are professionals who make a ton of money. The Olympics aren't their main goal; neither professionally nor personally as they are for so many Olympians.

But I'm thinking about this in terms of other sports. Now, for an American swimmer or gymnast, as an athelete involved in non-mainstream sports, the Olympics are it. The only thing that matters. I've always rooted for them wholeheartedly. But now I'm thinking the Nigerian swimmer or Peruvian shot-putter who has no money and trains like Rocky did in Rocky IV with carts, rocks, and felled trees -- a guy or girl who will go back to their homeland to herd goats or something so Third World I don't even know about it -- deserves my support more than an American with state-of-the-art facilities.

All in the quest for consistency in my sports ideology and the support of the underdog.

2 Comments:
Blogger Kevin said...

Good point about the U.S. maybe being underdogs. This certainly isn't the Dream Team.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Oh, I suppose if you're going to comment here we need to differentiate ourselves.
-Kevin the blog mgr.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home