Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

More on Baseball by Way of Football

I'm really in this for the Red Sox. I tried not to care - I even came up with an argument as to why it would be better of the Yankees beat them. But I can't do it. The mind may be willing, but the heart isn't. And here's why:

I was 12-, 13-, 14-, and 15-years old when the Buffalo Bills went to their four Super Bowls. For me, as with many boys, those are prime ages for the height of one's sports fanaticism. I was lucky enough to be there for the heyday of Buffalo Bills football.

Oh, the heartbreak. When Scott Norwood missed the field goal in Super Bowl XX, I went upstairs and took as shower. And I cried in the shower.

I saw my beloved Bills become a punchline to a joke, a joke I would assume originated somewhere between Dallas and Fort Worth. Now I'm older and wiser, and I can look back on those Bills teams and realize how incredible and great they were. The stars: Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, James Lofton, Bruuuuuuuuuuuce Smith, Henry Jones, Cornelius Bennett (when he was Derrick Thomas good), Nate Odomes, Darryl Talley, and on and on and on. And the lunchpail, working class fan favorites: Phil Hansen, Don Beebee, Pete Metzelaars, Kenneth Davis, Kent Hull, and of course the master of the greatest comeback in the NFL: Frank Reich.

I was playing Super Tecmo Bowl recently, and I was of course the Buffalo Bills. Aside from remembering what a force Bruce Smith is in that game, I remembered what a great time the early 90's were to be a Bills fan.

Kind of like how good the early 21st century has been to the Red Sox.

What's more, I remember the heartache and heartbreak. And I don't wish that on anyone. The Red Sox deserve to feel the joy I never got to feel; the catharsis I never had.

Plus, I really fucking hate the Yankees.

2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw the Red Sox pain is good for the soul right Howes.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this smacks of mahdy-brand humor... can you hear me now?

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home