Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Delayed Reaction

I have been totally and completely and utterly infatuated with '80s indie music lately. I was too young to be aware of most of these bands when they first came out, having been born in 1978 and not having any older siblings or cousins around to expose me to this great music. But now that I'm immersing myself in the music, I can't believe I didn't discover it after-the-fact at least by high school. I suppose that's what I get for going to a conservative, all-boys Catholic high school: shitty Warren G albums and fossils like the Allman Brothers and ZZ Top.

To my credit, I wore out my tape of R.E.M.'s Green album when I was all of 11-years old. I didn't understand it at all, but I intuitively figured out it was good. But it wasn't until Nirvana exploded into the mainstream that I really started paying attention to music. As far as I could tell, Nirvana was my generation's Beatles: this insanely popular band that turned into a cultural landmark. They were the soundtrack in my life as I started making out with girls, driving, and sneaking into bars. But, despite R.E.M.'s "college rock," old U2 "post punk," and my obsession with Nirvana -- the band that took the indie rock/punk/alternative/hardcore ethic to huge mainstream proportions, I never did my homework. I was so close to discovering a history of great music if only I listened to Peter Buck praise the Replacements, or more obviously, pay attention to Kurt Cobain's awe of the Pixies. Hell -- I even listened to The Cure's "Friday I'm in Love" everyday in 8th grade, but then ignored their really interesting stuff and spent my few dollars on MC Hammer CDs.

So now, 20 years later, I'm finally getting around to the Replacements, Minutemen, Chameleons, Dead Kennedys, Joy Division, The dB's, Mission of Burma, Camper van Beethoven; and the bands that preceded and influenced them: Talking Heads, Television, New York Dolls.

And I can't believe these guys weren't huge. How is it possible? How are they not on the radio? I can't figure this out.

And then I turn on the radio and hear the Goo Goo Dolls, Good Charlotte, Linkin Park. And I realize when you're eating at McDonald's, don't expect a porterhouse steak.

2 Comments:
Blogger Boski93 said...

I hear you. A lot of these bands should have been huge. It is a damn shame. But hey the kids today need to hear their Good Charlotte, every two hours or they will think for themselves, and do you want that?

8:37 AM  
Blogger SamSam said...

I was at a friends house when her older brother came in and proceeded to rant about how when the room was his it was plastered with Jimi Hendrix posters and how crappy we were for listening to new music and Jimi was the shit, blahblahblah. An so I said some snarky comment about music which culminated in my stating the I was "Experienced". He didn't get it. That's when I realized I was cooler than drunken older brothers. Surprise!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home