Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Friday, March 11, 2005

Entertainment That I Am Proud to Say I Was On Board For Before They Were Cool

1) Ali G -- I was a HUGE Ali G fan when I spent a semester in London in 1999. He was on a British show called The 11 o'clock Show (it is/was a lot like the Daily Show).

2) Radiohead -- This one comes with a caveat. Everyone knew "Creep," but I feel like I was in the "they aren't a one-hit wonder" crowd pretty early in the game -- way before OK Computer came out. I saw them open for R.E.M. on the Monster tour in support for The Bends. A lot of my friends made fun of me for loving the "Creep" band. Suck it.

3) Jurassic 5 -- My friends and I had their E.Ps and imports, and listened the shit out of them for a couple years. Then we got an advanced copy of their first album (on cassette tape). We promptly had a power outage, so there were 5 of us sitting in a circle around a tiny boom box listening to a horribly-made copy of Quality Control and drinking. It doesn't get any more underground cool than that for a bunch of white kids from the suburbs.

4) Soccer -- oh, wait, no one cares, still.

5) Memento -- I read an article about it somewhere once, and then saw it the day it opened in New York. There was 1 other person in the theater. A couple months later, it was selling out.

6) Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels -- This one is kind of cheating. I just happened to be in London and saw it before it was released in the States. But still, I was able to call friends and tell them to see it when it came out.

7) Modest Mouse -- I bought my first Modest Mouse album three years ago. Now they're huge. Though there are a lot of people who were on board with them before me.

Lest you think I am doing this just to brag, I will also say I was a HUGE (I cannot emphasize this enough) Oasis fan, I'm pretty late to the game with regards to Bill Hicks, I had a faux-hawk once, I am really late to the game with regards to Wilco, and like a sheep I follow the vintage-shirt fad. Among a plethora of others. I just wanted to point out (for myself, as well) that every now and then I get things right.

2 Comments:
Blogger d said...

Entertainment That I Am Proud To Say I Disliked Before They Were Known

1. Elliott Smith -- I actually mentioned this show on my blog recently, but he opened for Mary Lou Lord in New York. She called him "a young Bob Dylan." I was confused as to why.

2. Kid Rock -- When I worked in a record store in 1993, I had a single of his called "Back from the Dead," which was a sort of ripoff of "Paid in Full," and I loved it. Then when his full-length album came out, I somehow "obtained it" from the store. Now his angle was being "the guy in the playground whop tells dirty jokes!" It was so bad I gave it back and put it in the defective bin.

3. According to Jim -- Not that anyone thinks it's good, but I read a very early draft of the pilot and it was so bad it was inspiring: "If this can get made, why am I not employed?" And I started my first script the next day. Of course, the "Jim" people are now bigger millionaires than when they began and I still have no job, so I'm not sure what the moral of that story is. Still, I knew it would suck before anyone knew it even existed.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Good call on "Jim" and Kid Rock. I must disagree with Elliott Smith.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home