Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Clublife Envy

Sometimes I think my little blog is dreadfully bad. It's supposed to be a writing exercise for me, to get me to at least "jot" down some stuff on a semi-regular basis if nothing specifically interesting happens. And I think early on it was pretty good. Now it's just boring. I'm bored when I write it, so I can only imagine how horrible it must be for you to read it. Maybe I'm just sad that it's stopped raining here in LA and now there's no chance we'll all fall into the ocean on a mudslide.

But I feel this space is even more pathetic when I read other blogs that are built on solid ideas and also incorporate excellent writing and interesting points of view. I can write as well as anyone, I just don't have an angle for this blog. A Gestalt if you will. My favorite blog -- and the one that makes me feel the most impotent as a blogger when I read it -- is Clublife. Very quickly: it's written by a bouncer who works at a New York club. He seems to think his stories are simply outlets for his own frustrations, but there's a lot more going on in the stories than just bitching. He's a very good writer and the stories -- aside from just being inherently funny -- are made all the better by his unique sensibility/perspective, and his basic ability to tell a story in an interesting way. He knows how to keep the reader invested and the stories always have a higher ideological point to them, so you can take something away from them.

And now he has mobsters. Fuck. I should just quit.

3 Comments:
Blogger Rob said...

Come on, dude. You're a friend of Tobin's. That's gotta count for something.

11:36 PM  
Blogger MMA Media Advantage said...

Whoa. That one is pretty good. Yours is good too though. Seriously. I'm not just saying that.

7:41 PM  
Blogger MMA Media Advantage said...

Like in an Eddie Haskell kind of way. We can't all be bouncers.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home