Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I'll Give You a Mike Greenwell rookie for Jessie Barfield and Billy Ripken

My grandfather died yesterday. It's not that big of a deal to me. He was my mother's father, and he was never around so this doesn't affect me in any real way. I mean, sure, it's sad when someone dies, and I guess a little sadder since he was family. But still, I can't say I really missed him when he wasn't around or will miss him now that he isn't around in the serious, hardcore sense of the word. He wasn't a bad man and I'm not bitter about him not being in my life. That's just the way it was. I had other grandparents who were a big part of my life, and other older relatives who filled in the niche he would have occupied. Taking your grandkids to an amusement park and spending $50 on us at Toys-R-Us once a year is hardly grandparenting. But it is a pretty sweet deal for a 10-year-old.

Though Grandpa O'Connell did buy me my first pack of baseball cards. A pack of 1986 Topps. I was into collecting baseball stickers -- where each team has a page and you fill in the player's sticker in the appropriate place. So I was incredibly disappointed when he brought baseball cards as a present. What was I supposed to do, tape them into the book? But there's something monumental in an American boy's introduction to baseball cards. It's a big part of any boys' life. Grandpa may have hated my Young MC tape and my skateboard, but he understood baseball cards the way his sons did and maybe even his father did, and the way I eventually did when I realized how lame the frigging sticker book was. And, despite not really ever being around, and me not knowing him, and me not even really caring that I didn't, he somehow managed to impact my life in a surprisingly profound way. Baseball cards.

And so for that I'm a little sad he died. Hopefully the afterlife is a little bit happier place for you than this world was.

2 Comments:
Blogger Boski93 said...

I don't know. Greenwell is good and all, but Jessie has got the fro going and he had a gun. No one runs on Barfield, no one. Also I not going to give away my Billy Ripken with the obsceinty on the bat handle.

I still can remember my first pack of baseball cards. I got them one the way back from Catalina in '78. I still have a card from that pack, Feggie Jenkins. Oh the memories.

I would also like to pass on my condolences for your grandfather.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me about sticker books. I loved them growing up. Sorry about your grandfather, btw

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home