Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Friday, August 12, 2005

Not Real Sports

I really don't like fantasy sports, and I dislike them for individual reasons. Fantasy Baseball is just too long a season and I inevitably go a week or two at different times in the summer where I don't pay attention, and therefore my teams plunge down in the standings faster than Rafael Palmeiro lost his Hall of Fame consideration. Fantasy football just grates on my nerves. There are television shows and actual jobs based on analyzing fantasy football. How pathetic is that? Such desperation to hold on to your dreams of the 20-tackle game you had in the State Championships. And this is it, not even season tickets but a fake team. And then you get those people at the bar next to you: "I need Willis McGahee to have 150 yards but no touchdowns because I have Miami's defense, but I like the Bills so I want them to win the game... 10-7 would be nice because I have Chris Chambers and if he could catch that touchdown, I might have a chance depending on if Edgerrin James has a bad game against the Saints since my opponent has James..." It's maddening. And no one plays fantasy hockey. Hell, last year no one played regular hockey. I've heard fantasy golf is fun, but, um, no.

But having said all of that, I think I'm playing fantasy football this year. I'm going to try and be a Mike Brown-like owner and manage my team with heartless determination. No sentimental picks. Also, if I have Tom Brady on my team, I'm still rooting for Takeo Spikes and Nate Clements to rip his shit up all afternoon. I said there'd be no sentimentality on Team Kevin -- there is, however, ample room for it on the Buffalo Bills. This way if I'm losing I can tell all my friends I don't really care, yet if I'm winning I can talk shit, which to me is the only good part of Fantasy sports. Oh, the ego. Like somehow this will prove my machismo since I can no longer run and keep up in a flag football game.

3 Comments:
Blogger Boski93 said...

I am one of the sick bastard who has tried his hand at fantasy hockey and I found that I suck at that as well. If you need tips on how not to run a roto team then I can help. I have lost at nearly all of them, well except golf and WNBA. But I can lose at those as well.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that traditional fantasy baseball is extremely cumbersome, but found that ESPN Baseball Challenge is a lot of fun and very low maintenance. It is an exercise in purchasing: you get a $50 million salary cap with which to buy your team. It's one person per position, including DH, and you select one staff from either league. As market values for players go up and down, you can buy and sell, but you generally don't get rid of your players unless they are injured or they value drops significantly-- you'll not get your money back! Oh, did I mention it's free to play!? I played fantasy football last year and it was more than a little UGLY. Not gonna bother this season!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Eric XXL said...

I've been toying with the idea of starting a free Yahoo football league. Anyone interested?

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home