Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Friday, November 04, 2005

Freebird Sucks

A quick little music note. I haven't been into big guitar solos at all for awhile. I can't explain why not, I just haven't. And I understand that bands like Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters and people like Stevie Ray Vaughn are extremely talented, I'm just not interested in their art. Those people, to me at least, are like painters who paint these amazingly realistic-looking still-lifes where you could just reach out and grab that apple and eat it. They are technical geniuses. They've studied and practiced their craft and are easily among the most skilled people in the world at what they do. But to me, a realistic-looking still-life is a boring painting. A really dull piece of art. And then you look at a Monet expressionism still-life (did he even do still-lifes? If not, you can imagine what it would look like) and, I mean, you're not going to think it's a real framed apple, but it's so much more interesting and, in a way, even more apple-y.

And so lately I've been feeling that these well-put-together guitar solos in the middle of songs are still-life apples.

Except the other day "Marquee Moon" by Television came on mu ipod. It's gotta be around 11 minutes or so, and there are two huge guitar solos in it where Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd sort of duel back and forth. It's so brittle and thin and meandering... and it's brilliant. I'm not smart enough or musically intuitive enough to really know why it's so good or why I respond so much to it -- especially when it's at a time when I'm bored with most (what I perceive to be) ostentatious solos.

I spoke to the man down at the tracks,
And I asked him how he don't go mad,
He said: "Look here, junior, don't you be so happy,
And for Heaven's sake, don't you be so sad."


But dammit if that song doesn't always put me so happy.

1 Comments:
Blogger Eric XXL said...

Good call on Television. Those songs simply suck you in and before you know it 6 minutes has passed. I'm going to have to post some Television on my mp3 blog

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home