Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

How a Fat Man From the Dominican Republic Is Making Me Feel Old

I feel old.

And I'm not old, and I'm aware of the fact that I'm not old, and if someone ever said I was old I would protest the accusation. But I feel old. Or, better put, I am aware that I am getting older. And I blame Bartolo Colon for this.

I've always been nostalgic for earlier periods of my life. I wish I was still in college. In college, I wished I was still in high school. In high school, I wished I was still in grade school. Most sports teams I played on I wished I was still on my old team. Before I moved to Los Angeles, I lived in New York City. Right now I wish I lived in New York City, even though I hated New York City while I lived there. The whole time I was there I wished I was still in college. And the whole time, including right now, right this second, I wish I was in 8th grade because 8th grade was nothing but street hockey all day after school and all weekend. That is all I want.

And it's a fact that this past summer I witnessed 8 pairs of my friends get married, and a few weeks ago I attended my friends' son's first birthday party, and this weekend I am going to a co-ed baby shower. And while on some level I kind of hate my friends for moving on with their lives, leaving me to drink alone at the bar down the street, these are not the things that make me feel old. Rather, Bartolo Colon has me feeling old.

Why? Because today he won the American League Cy Young Award, and while reading on online article about his achievement, it dawned on me that I will never, ever, win a Cy Young Award. And this makes me feel old.

When I was in 8th grade and playing street hockey every day, I was at the same time not playing baseball everyday. I played only one year of organized baseball (4th-grade), and while I was athletic enough to compete in any sport, I was far from being considered a good baseball player. I was actually terrified of the ball (yet oddly I was a very good street hockey goaltender where the point is to get hit by the ball), and otherwise had no interest in the sport -- despite the three paternal-side generations before me being extremely talented baseball players (great-grandfather was offered a contract by the Yankees; grandfather was a local high school all-star and hit a home run off of Warren Spahn in high school; father went to a regional Pittsburgh Pirates try-out).

So, my point is, I was never really on a path to win a Cy Young Award, yet when I was younger it was always a possibility. Maybe someday my latent baseball skill would surface and I'd go on to play in the Major Leagues. This holds true for any number of things. Maybe I would become an astronaut. Maybe I'd be president. Maybe I'd win an Olympic gold medal. Maybe I'd become a rock star.

But none of these things, along with countless others, are ever going to happen. I will not play in the Major Leagues. I will never go to space (at least on a scientific mission). My radical politics and spouting off about them and yelling at my friends in drunken states precludes any hope of a political career. I do have one idea of how I can still win an Olympic gold medal, but despite all attempts to make it so, I will not be a rock star. Once I graduated from college decisions had to be made and some of these decisions took forever away certain opportunities -- whether they were ever legitimate or not. So, winning a Cy Young Award was probably always a fantasy, but it was always hypothetically possible. It isn't even that anymore. I have come to grips that neither the American League nor the National League will ever recognize me as the best pitcher in a specific season.

And this is why I feel old.

1 Comments:
Blogger Boski93 said...

I could not agree with you more.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home