Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Mmmm Bort Bort. Mmmm Bort Bort

I've learned a few things about myself recently. The most important of which is, I can bake.

Recently I've lost two bets where the loser (i.e. me) was required to bake something for the other person. The parameters of these bets were set because of my own arrogance, and I really have no one but myself to blame for my bruised ego and full stomach. My friend makes some really delicious Rice Krispie squares, and I wanted some. So, when the question "Did Kevin Spacey voice a character in Antz or A Bug's Life? popped up, I immediately saw an opportunity to get a fresh batch of Snap, Crackle, and Pop's finest for myself.

"He was in A Bug's Life," my friend said.
"No way, it was Antz," I yelled. "Wanna bet?"

Our hands extended across the table, and we shook. A nanosecond later a previously dormant brain synapse fired. Oh crap, Kevin Spacey was the voice in A Bug's Life. Crap crap crap. In my slightly buzzed state, I tried to bully my way to victory. I taunted my opponent. I made jokes. I made numerous references to how awesome the Rice Krispie squares were going to be.

And then the next morning I opened my email and saw an imdb link had been sent to me. I lost. Like I knew I would, but not only did I lose the bet, I lost a bet in which I argued like an asshole. And now I had to bake a cake for my friend for her birthday, and I had never ever baked in my life. "It's not too hard," I was told. "Just buy Betty Crocker." Fuck that. I'm making this from scratch. And so we all ate homemade pumpkin-spice cake, with homemeade cream cheese icing.

And it doesn't end there. Lo and behold, a week or so later, another opportunity to wager arose. Who sang that popular cover version of Prince's "Darling Nicki"? "The Foo Fighters?" I incredulously yelled at another friend. "No way. It was most certainly not the Foo Fighters. It's someone like Trapt. Or Papa Roach. Or someone like that. Not the Foo Fighters. Don't be ridiculous." Basically, she had the Foo Fighters and I had every other single band. Ever. In the history of music.

And the next morning I opened my email and was greeted with: SUBJECT: You must really like losing these bets...

Are you kidding me? Again? I would have bet my life on this one. I would have been dead. I spent an hour -- an HOUR -- googling to find more "Darling Nicki" covers. And I found a lot of them, but none I could pass off as being the version I was thinking of. And later, at a party, I asked to room to be quiet. I asked who did that cover of Prince's "Darling Nicki" and was almost knocked over by the chorus of "THE FOO FIGHTERS" that came my way, without any hesitation.

So I made a chocolate strawberry cake. From scratch.

If anyone has a birthday coming up, make a bet with me. Three things will happen:

1) You will win.
2) You will be able to throw it in my face because I will argue like an asshole, and probably insult you in numerous ways, pointing out your stupidity on numerous levels.
3) You will get delicious cake, because I can bake.

2 Comments:
Blogger Eric XXL said...

My birthday is coming up, but I can't think of single thing to bet on. Either way, mail me some homemade coffee cake.

Hopefully all of this baking is leading to some hot, floury sex

7:03 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Yeah, hot floury sex... or not. Fucking platonic friends.

Or, actually, not fucking platonic friends, as the case may be.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home