Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

No Business Like...

Finally. I have 5 minutes.

The past few weeks have been pretty busy for me. We're in the middle of pilot season and are actually producing a pilot this year, so the hours at the office have been long. In a city where everyone wants to be an act-or/-ess, who knew casting was so difficult? A couple of years ago I worked on a pilot that was shut down a couple of days before we were supposed to start production because they couldn't cast a couple of the roles. When the producer told us why we were shutting down, my friend looked at me and said, "Can't find actors? Give me a dead cat, I'll go to a restaurant and swing it. I guarantee I'll find them some actors." Except it's not that simple. Everyone has to be just right. It's not enough to simply be a good actor. They're judged on their looks, height, attitude, how different their look/height/attitude is from other already-cast actors. I kind of dislike actors immensely, but I sort of understand why they're such fragile, insecure people, despite the beauty and lifestyle. And then producers, casting agents, studio execs, network execs all have their own "it" in their minds for what the roles need, and sometimes these "its" come into conflict. Then you find someone you like, and the contract negotiations begin. If they fall apart, back to square one.

But anyways, the pilot got cast at the 11th hour and we had a table read and so things are moving forward.

Except now that casting hell is over, production has started. I show up at the office between 9 and 9:30, which is great except I get home at 9 at night. Which, again, is fine -- I really don't mind the hours -- but then I need to make dinner, and clean up, and there's laundry, and my car needs some work done on it, and God knows when I'm ever going to get to the bank because I can't leave the office, and I have reading to catch up on.

And then there's my own writing with my writing partner which I've been really bad about lately and need to start getting serious about. It is, after all, my raison d'etre out here in Los Angeles. If I'm not actively trying to "make it" I may as well get the hell out of here.

But so anyways, take this as a very long apology for why this blog hasn't been updated. I have stuff to say, but no time to say it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home