Convenient Parking
 
 

Convenient Parking


 

 

Blog Friends

Boski
Club Life
K8's Escapades
...Something's Gone Wrong Again
Surgical Strikes
There's a Blog in My Throat

Sites of Interest

Fark
Inversion Magazine
McSweeneys
Spector's Hockey
The Onion
Defamer
Get Your War On
The Sneeze

More blogs by people I've Met

Blogroll Me!

Filing Cabinet

July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 April 2007 June 2007

Stats

Number of people accidentally here:

Powered By





 

Creative Commons License

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Why? Because Like That Joan Jett Song Says Is Why

I'm enough of a music nerd to really get into this. A friend sent me this: you're supposed to put your music player on shuffle (how presumptuous!) and the songs that play answer the questions.

1) How am I feeling today?

"Bitter Tears" by INXS
In the mist
Of my endless search
The best in life
Becomes clear
The rest just begins
To fade by itself
That's a trick I learnt
Though it took so long
Bitter tears taste so sweet


Optimistic, apparently, that the good will stay and the bad will go away - despite feeling bad right now.

2) Will I get far in life?

"Aquemini" by OutKast
Even the sun goes down heroes eventually die
Horoscopes often lie and sometimes "Y"
Nothing is for sure, nothing is for certain, nothing lasts forever


The song version of: "Too hazy to tell now. Ask again later." How ominous.

3) How do my friends see me?

"Honey Pie" by the Beatles
Honey pie you are making me crazy
I'm in love but I'm lazy
So won't you please come home
Oh honey pie my position is tragic
Come and show me the magic
Of your Hollywood song


A legend of the silver screen? (I wish.) Obviously this is my New York friends wishing I'd move back 'cross country. Though they should move out here.

4) Where will I get married?

"Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah" by the Pogues

Ireland.

5) What is my best friend's theme song?

"Deltron 3030" by Deltron (Del tha Funkee Homosapien and Dan the Automator)

This really should have been the Tragically Hip or a Kings of Leon tune. I can't for the life of me justify this one. It's got a spacey, soaring sound and odd futuristic lyrics about crimes against an oppressive government involving technology. It's very Blade Runner or Minority Report. As a finance person for a record label, my best friend hates music piracy, and while I don't think that's what the song is about, if it was it would run counter to his position. Maybe he's not my best friend?

6) What is the story of my life?

"Polly" by the Kinks

The Prodigal Son. Apparently I left home after defying my parents, led a wild and crazy lifestyle in the big city, was the toast of the town and known by all, realized what a mistake it was, and moved back home, apologizing for my behavior. Well, I can't wait for the "swinging scene" part of my life to begin.

7) What is/was high school like?

"If That's Alright" by Uncle Tupelo

Every day is dreamlike
It seems like,
In every way
And that's why
When I look back on my life
It's like a slideshow out of focus


I drank a lot, but not that much. There's also a rueful tone in the way Jeff Tweedy sings that doesn't apply. I did get a concussion playing soccer once, and I don't remember much of that day... it's pretty hazy and weird and dreamlike.

8) How can I get ahead in life?

"Garageland" by the Clash

By not selling out; by staying true to my beliefs. Sneer at those with lesser conviction:

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective
People ringing up making offers for my life
But I just wanna stay in the garage all night
...
Contracts in the offices, groups in the night
My bummin' slummin' friends have all got new boots
An' someone just asked me if the group would wear suits


9) What is the best thing about me?

"Soft Serve" by Soul Coughing

Clearly this is a reference to my odd, yet descriptive, imagery in my writing. Or, people are using me assuming I have access to delicious soft serve.

10) How is today going to be?

"Bright Day" by Jack Drag

Well then, there you go.

11) What is in store for this weekend?

"The Book I Read" by the Talking Heads

I do plan on reading a lot. Of course, there is the whole underlying idea of reading someone else like a book and taking advantage of them:

Feel my fingers as they
Touch your arms
I'm spinning around but I feel alright
The book I read was in your eyes


Followed by a slightly-taunting "Na-na-na-na-na" repeated over and over again. So maybe I'll seduce and take advantage of someone.

12) What song describes my parents?

"School" by Nirvana

Oh yeah, my parents loved Kurt Cobain. The fact that that Nirvana was the band of my social formative years - Nevermind came out when I was in 8th grade and so I was the perfect age at the perfect time to be totally swept up by them - was a really pleasant thing for my parents to have experienced. Also, the school sucks! message of the song pretty much sums up their anti-education stance.

Won't you believe it
It's just my luck
No recess
You're in that school again


Or, you know, not.

13) My grandparents?

"Femme Fatale" by R.E.M. (Velvet Underground cover)

Did my grandmother(s) seduce my grandfather(s) and us them? I don't equate my grandmothers with vampy spider women. Though one of my grandfathers cheated on my grandmother, and the other grandmother was married to a gay man for a weekend before the marriage was annulled (not consummated... he was gay, after all... loooong story). So, maybe "Homme Fatale" would be better?

14) How is my life going?

"Hypnotize" by the White Stripes

And though I knew you weren't home
I didn't mind so much 'cause I'm so alone
I want to hypnotize you baby
On the telephone


Depressing... I need to trick the girl I love into loving me back. Though this song implies I lead a rip-roarin' rockin' life.

15) What song will they play at my funeral?

"Stop Dat" by Dizzee Rascal

My funeral is gonna fuck with people's heads.

16) How will the world see you?

"Fillet-O-Rapper" by MF Doom

A jokester genius! Rad.

17) Will I have a happy life?

"All the Wine" by the National

I'm put together beautifully
Big wet bottle in my fist, big wet rose in my teeth
I'm perfect piece of ass
All the wine is all for me.
I'm a birthday candle in a circle of black girls
God is on my side


Sounds like a pretty happy life to me. I mean, black girls and God! This song is basically about a guy being drunk and happy. I'll take it.

18) What do my friends really think of me?

"Four Sticks" by Led Zeppelin

Jon Bonham used four drumsticks on this song, ergo, my friends must really think I'm an unbelievable genius prodigy. Also, that I always run away from people:

Oh, Baby, it's cryin' time, Oh, Baby, I got to fly.
Got to try to find a way, got to try to get away,
'Cause you know I gotta get away from you, babe.


Fair enough.

19) Do people secretly lust after me?

"The Big Country" by the Talking Heads

Interpreting my interpretation of this song as it pertains to the question:

As we're flying 'cross country, somewhere over Nebraska:
ME: Hey! Do you lust after me?
NARRATOR: Um... Hey, look out the window! Farmland!

Your silence on the subject speaks volumes.

20) How can I make myself happy?

"Tear Out My Eyes" by Tricky

I wanna take my clothes off
Tear my mouth and nose off
And take out my eyes
I deserve to die because of lies
It's crazy lies
We have to die because of lies


A lot of people are dying for lies today. World affairs and the current administration do not make for happy thoughts. Mutilation to the point of separating myself from the world is one way to go, I suppose...

21) What should I do with my life?

"Wonderwall" by Paul Anka (Oasis cover)

Be a cheesy shithead? (DISCLAIMER: My interpretation is biased. I've had a, um... run-in let's say, with Paul Anka. Fuck that fucking fuck.) Maybe I should have told that asshole off even more? ("Today is gonna be the day / That they're gonna send it back to you")

22) Will I ever have children?

"The Big Three Killed My Baby" by the White Stripes

Yes, but they will die as a result of rampant capitalism as represented here by the automobile industry. Probably.

23) What is some good advice for me?

"Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1" by the Flaming Lips

Stay strong and fight evil. Never quit.

... a black belt in karate
Working for the city
She has to discipline her body
Cuz she knows that
It's demanding
To defeat those evil robots


24) What is my signature dancing song?

"Graceland" by Paul Simon

Holy crap, I am a cracker-ass cracker. How white can I be?

25) What do I think my current theme song is?

"In This Home on Ice" by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Now that I'm so sad and not quite right
I could dance all night
I could dance all night


Apparently to my Paul Simon song... But this really is a lovely song. If it preceded me everywhere I went, I could dig it.

26) What does everyone else think my current theme song is?

"Theme From New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra

WTF?!?! I'm a Mets/Orioles fan, I hate the Yankees!

27) What kind of men/women do you like?

"Mother's Little Helper" by the Rolling Stones

Depressed homemakers on pills.

28) Do you enjoy meat?

"Wonderwall" by Oasis

Two versions of this song came up on the shuffle play this close togteher? I don't know if this is a song to vegetarianism about the evils of eating red meat (i.e. "I said maybe / You’re gonna be the one to save me") or what.

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soft serve is yummy!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Boski93 said...

Another strong post sir. You should not be ashamed of the Soul Coughing reference.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Au contraire -- Soul Coughing is one of my favorites. I was just at a loss as to how to link the song with the question. By the way, Mike Doughty's latest solo album is tres good.

10:41 AM  
Blogger d said...

I have a weird group of songs on my iPod at the moment, but what the hell:

1) How am I feeling today?

"Get Yourself Home," The Fairies

It's true, I don't feel like being at work.


2) Will I get far in life?

"B Side Wins Again," Public Enemy

Maybe being so far off the beaten path will work to my advantage.


3) How do my friends see me?

"Words of Wisdom (II)" 3rd Bass

I am seen as the smart one of my high school friends. (Not even remotely by college friends.)


4) Where will I get married?

"Hip Hug-Her," Booker T & the MG's

Apparently I'll marry my second wife in Memphis.


5) What is my best friend's theme song?

"Morning Bell," Radiohead (live version)

I guess he's an early riser.


6) What is the story of my life?

"If You Want Blood," Mark Kozalek

Incredibly honest and touching retelling of a super-rockin' AC/DC barn-burner. I'll take it.


7) What is/was high school like?

"She Watch Channel Zero," Public Enemy

"You're blind, baby, from the facts on who you are." So, freshman and sophomore year.


8) How can I get ahead in life?

"I'm Mad Again," John Lee Hooker

Yes, good, use your anger, let the force flow through you, give in to the Dark Side...


9) What is the best thing about me?

"Villanova Junction," Jimi Hendrix (at Woodstock)

Apparently it's my hippie leanings (or instrumental noodling?)


10) How is today going to be?

"Whiskeydick," Harvester

Today's going to turn out all right!"


11) What is in store for this weekend?

"Worrywort," Radiohead

Damn, I was hoping to relax.


12) What song describes my parents?

"How She Lied by Living," The Posies

I kind of love my iPod right now.


13) My grandparents?

"This Is Sad," Fela Kuti

All four were born in Russia and were forced out in pogroms. My paternal grandfather had MS. Sounds about right.


14) How is my life going?

"Black Book," Stephen Malkmus

I choose to interpret this as my life being a critically acclaimed, if slightly obscure, solo career.


15) What song will they play at my funeral?

"I Am Not Willing," Wilco

Some of these are just brilliant.


16) How will the world see you?

"Falls to Climb," R.E.M.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.


17) Will I have a happy life?

"Lord, I Want to Die Easy," Josh White

Okay, maybe I don't love my iPod so much after all...


18) What do my friends really think of me?

"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" R.E.M.

They think I attack Dan Rather.


19) Do people secretly lust after me?

"Summer Babe [Winter Version]," Pavement

Only when I'm in shorts


20) How can I make myself happy?

"Straight Ahead," Jimi Hendrix

Stay on target...


21) What should I do with my life?

"Rosalyn," The Pretty Things

I guess now I know who I'm marrying in Memphis.


22) Will I ever have children?

"Midnight," Jimi Hendrix

12 of 'em.


23) What is some good advice for me?

"I Got Rhythm," Don Byas

Dance, motherfucker!


24) What is my signature dancing song?

"Life Is Too Short," T-Bone Walker

Lot of fatalism in these answers, huh?


25) What do I think my current theme song is?

"Sing Me Back Home," Flying Burrito Brothers

Considering I've been rockin' the GarageBand the last few nights, not a bad choice. But I was praying for "Pimpin' Ain't Easy."


26) What does everyone else think my current theme song is?

"Little Baby," The Blue Rondos

FU, iPod.


27) What kind of men/women do you like?

"Square Dance Rock, Pt. 2," Magic Sam

Red staters.


28) Do you enjoy meat?

"Shut Em Down," Public Enemy

Vegetables it is.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home